Proverbs 226, is a ministry which is aimed at fighting one of the most dangerous trends in America: the uncontrolled incarceration of children.
Here are the staggering statistics that face US, at present:
- If a child has a parent in prison today, there is an 82% PROBABILITY that the child will end up in prison.
- In 2014 estimated spending on prison population was $74 Billion / year.
Lack of Education:
- 1 out of 8 children in the US drop out of school. Today’s at-risk population of potential drop outs is 6,680,625.
- 75% of the crime in the US is committed by high-school dropouts.
- 78% of the prison population lacks post-secondary education (compared to 49% of general population).
- Studies show that graduating from college programs can decrease recidivism by 72%.
- A 2007 study estimated that society can save @ $209,000 in cost for every potential dropout who completes high school.
- Every day we send @ 4,500 children (below the age 18) to prison in the US!!!
- Over 10,000 children are serving time in prisons. 3,000 of those are children below the age 13 serving time for life without parole.
- A handful of these kids are spending time in supermax solitary confinement with no human contact for 23 hours per day.
- Due to the increasing population of young offenders going into prison, the average age of inmates in US is decreasing.
- Proverbs 226 is a nonprofit 501(c)3 committed to making a “Generational Impact” by making a difference in the life of a child, one child at a time.
- The vision is to impact one million children with an incarcerated parent in the next 10 years by providing college scholarships, mentoring and restoring broken relationships in communities.
- If we can stop one million children from going into prison between now and 2033, we can save tax payers close to $254b, ultimately saving $.25 cents for every dollar spent by the federal government.
- Proverbs 226 work will save the country $1 million for every 5 children that go to college.
- 1200 of these kids going to college will save the US $254m.
- The goal is to save 1 million children.
- Change the lives of these children and reduce the $billions a year we are throwing away.
If these trends continue, it is estimated that we will send as many as 8 million children to state and federal facilities in next 10 years. By 2022 it is estimated that America will spend as much as $300 Billion / year on this problem.
Growth Pattern in the last 3 years
- In 2012 we had 120 children in the program.
- In 2013 we increased to 450.
- In 2014 the number increased to 1300.
- In 2015 the estimate is 5000 children connected through 10 prisons.
- The number of inmates signing up to have their children added to visitation has increased over 800% – in the end, lives are changing!